‘To provide our children with the skills, creativity and enthusiasm to live and thrive in a world increasingly dependent on computing, where opportunities can be explored in safety and confidence.‘
- Jenny Bee – Computing Leader -
St Chad’s C of E Primary School Computing curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils are able to :
• understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation.
• analyse problems in computational terms, and have repeated practical experience of writing computer programs in order to solve such problems.
• evaluate and apply information technology, including new or unfamiliar technologies, analytically to solve problems.
• understand computer networks including the internet; how they can provide multiple services, such as the world wide web; and the opportunities they offer for communication and collaboration.
• use technology safely, respectfully and responsibly; recognise acceptable/unacceptable behaviour and identify a range of ways to report concerns
• Computing is taught across three main strands: digital literacy, computer science and information technology.
• Information technology; children learn to use and express themselves and develop their ideas through ICT for example writing and presenting as well as exploring art and design using multimedia. Digital literacy; children develop practical skills in the safe use of ICT and the ability to apply these skills to solving relevant problems for example understanding safe use of internet, networks and email. Computer science; children understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, logic, algorithms and data representation.
• We give children access to a wide range of good quality resources and provide cross curricular opportunities for children to apply their Computing knowledge and skills.
• Online safety is taught within each Computing lesson as well as being taught as a separate unit each year. Online safety procedures are communicated with all staff and parents.
When children leave St Chad’s C of E Primary School, they are competent and safe users of ICT with an understanding of how technology works. They will have developed skills to express themselves and be creative in using digital media and be equipped to apply their skills in Computing to different challenges going forward.
Computing Curriculum Map